Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Good Shepherd Award

Though the last week has been exhausting, at least emotionally, I feel the need to revisit the events one more (last) time. I cannot but wonder at the humanity, excellence and professionalism of the Rev. Tom (last name withheld for the sake of privacy). His presence throughout Joe's long illness means more than just being a Good Shepherd. A wholesale and bulk distributor of God's love, perhaps? Blessed with the ability to share Jesus' great gift to humanity? Does that sound too extreme? I think not.

I only know of most his actions and deeds second hand, but it seems to me that Rev. Tom has been a pillar of strength and spiritual support for each and every member of Joe's extended family, a friend indeed. I don't know if they can teach that in divinity school -- I suspect that they can't. Rather, it has to have something to do with the inner workings of the person in question; the ability to touch without touching, share without demanding anything in return, to give unilaterally. A smile, a look, a nod of the head ... a comfortable silence. Simple, but exquisite in concept and impact.

Sure, he is an ordained minister, conversant in the ways of community service, the Bible, and the sort of public relations required of a professional. But while a person can be taught the ability to remember names, to look people in the eye and shake hands in a positive way ... you simply cannot teach empathy and kindness. Those who attempt it without the gift of actually meaning it, always seem fake or shallow. Think of the vast majority of bottom dwellers in the Congress of the United States, it is self explanatory.

Which sets up the distinction of someone who has devoted their lives to others as compared to others who have "devoted" their lives ... ostensibly to others. Rev. Tom would be fantastically successful in business, as a lawyer, a police officer, or just about any other endeavor you might care to choose. But luckily for us, he has chosen to devote his life where his success is not measured in dollars and cents, trophies, memberships or awards, but by the far more difficult standards of his calling, as set out by our Lord. Difficult standards, indeed.

Allow me a review, Rev. Tom, while I cannot mark your test (for who can?), I can tell you that as far as I am concerned -- and I think that I speak for my extended family in this regard -- you deserve an "A."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home